Health & Safety -
WLSS (the company) is committed to ensuring the health, safety and welfare of its employees and it will, so far as is reasonably practicable, establish procedures and systems necessary to implement this commitment and to comply with its statutory obligations on health and safety. It is the responsibility of each employee to familiarise themselves and comply with the Company’s procedures and systems on health and safety.
While the company will take all reasonable steps to ensure the health and safety of its employees, health and safety at work is also the responsibility of the employees themselves. It is the duty of each employee to take reasonable care of their own and other people’s health, safety and welfare and to report any situation which may pose a serious or imminent threat to the well being of themselves or of any other person. If an employee is unsure how to perform a certain task or feels it would be dangerous to perform a specific job or use specific equipment, then it is the employee’s duty to report this as soon as possible to their line manager, their health and safety representative or the safety officer. Alternatively, an employee may, if they prefer, invoke the Company’s formal grievance procedure or they may make a complaint under the Company’s provisions on Disclosures in the Public Interest.
Disciplinary action under the Company’s disciplinary procedure may be taken against any employee who violates health and safety rules and procedures or who fails to perform their duties under health and safety legislation. Depending on the seriousness of the offence, it may amount to potential gross misconduct rendering the employee liable to summary dismissal.
The Company will provide and maintain a healthy and safe working environment with the objective of minimising the number of instances of occupational accidents and illnesses. The Company will pay particular attention to:
- Maintaining the workplace in a safe condition and providing adequate facilities and arrangements for welfare at work
- Providing a safe means of access to and egress from the workplace
- The provision and maintenance of equipment and systems of work that are safe
- Arrangements for ensuring safety to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances
- The provision of such information, instructions, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure the health and safety at work of its employees and other persons.
The Company also recognises its duty to protect the health and safety of all visitors to the Company, including contractors and temporary workers, as well as any members of the public who might be affected by the Company’s work operations.